Chicago Annulment Attorneys
Terminate a Marriage in Chicagoland
Like a divorce, an annulment terminates a marriage. Unlike a divorce, however, an annulment treats the marriage as though it never occurred. In Illinois, an annulment is referred to as a Declaration of (or Judgment for) Invalidity of Marriage.
If you are seeking an annulment, it can help to have a lawyer by your side. Seek representation from the Chicago annulment attorneys at the Law Offices of Jonathan Merel, P.C. We are dedicated to helping our divorce and family law clients achieve their goals in a fair, favorable, and cost-effective manner.
Give us a call at (312) 487-2795 to learn more and request a free consultation.
Grounds for Annulment
The statutory grounds for annulment, found in Section 301 of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act, can be difficult to satisfy and, consequently, many couples seeking an annulment do not qualify.
Under Illinois law, the grounds for declaring a marriage annulled and invalid are:
- Coercion or duress
- Mental incapacity
- Physical incapacity to consummate the marriage by sexual intercourse
- Minor without parental approval
- If the marriage was otherwise prohibited by law
It can be extremely difficult to prove these grounds. That is why it is in your best interest to retain a Chicago annulment attorney. We have extensive experience gathering evidence and painting a clear picture of the reason for your annulment.
How Long Do You Have to Get an Annulment?
In Illinois, how long you have to file an annulment depends on the reason for the annulment.
- 90 Days – If one or both spouses were under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of marriage, were mentally impaired at the time of marriage, or were forced into the marriage.
- 1 Year – If one spouse cannot have sexual intercourse and this was not known by the other spouse at the time of marriage.
- By Age 18 – If a minor gets married without their parent or guardian's consent.
- No Time Limit – If you learn after you are married that your spouse was still legally married to another person at the time of your marriage.
Consult with the Law Offices of Jonathan Merel, P.C.
Whether you are seeking a divorce or an annulment, the attorneys at our firm have the necessary skills and experience to effectively and zealously represent you. We look forward to serving you and helping you fight for the results you are seeking.
Contact us online or at (312) 487-2795 to get started.
They were thorough, thoughtful, respectful and always acted with my interests at heart.- Former Client
Jonathan and his team are everything you want in a lawyer.- BCT
I cannot stress enough how happy I was with their performance and I highly recommend that anyone with a Family Law matter have the Law Offices of Jonathan Merel represent them.- Richard
Jonathan is a great lawyer with great services and results- John
I highly recommend Jonathan and his firm for their professionalism, experience and for getting results!- Matt